Saturday, December 8, 2007

You Can Become a Geek Too!

John, in Ohio writes:
"Tell me Grey Hair Geek, how can I become a Geek too, and speak with authority on topics concerning technology and the internet?"


Well John (if that's really your name) I have two basic recommendations. They are equally important, so pay attention.

First, and very important, be sure to read this blog daily. Everyday, don't miss a day. The Grey Hair Geek is here to help. Ask questions, don't be afraid. I would tell you that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but we both know that isn't true. Lets say, hey if you don't ask it how will I answer it. (Well I could just make it up, after all this isn't the New York Times is it, and if it's good enough for our political leaders, it's good enough for the Grey Hair Geek)

Now for the second suggestion. Podcasts.

Podcasts are like radio except you use iTunes or your computer to download them. You play them on your mp3 player (I would say iPod, but even a Zune plays them, you can even put them on a flash drive and plug them in some radios) then you listen to them whenever it is convenient. Like Tivo except free. FREE. Listen to technology podcasts.

The best podcast, by far, for the beginner is the Techguy podcast, which is done by Leo LaPorte. It is his radio show without the commercials. He takes calls and helps people with their technology issues. Heres a link to his podcast: http://twit.tv/ttg

Now listening to one is good, listen to one a day is even better. And here's the really great news, Leo does about 15 podcasts a week, all of them on his twit network. If you have iTunes (and if you don't why not, even just to manage music it is terrific) you just need to search for twit (stands for This Week in Technology) and subscribe to a hand full.

My favorite is TWIT with MacBreak a close second, but they are all well done. Leo really does have a manner of explaining things so that they seem to make sense.

I down load so many that I feel I can use the Carpool lane, after all Leo is in here with me. Unfortunately the California Highway Patrol does not agree.

Geekettes, spend so time with Leo, then branch out. Go slowly, be patient with yourself.

No comments: