Monday, February 11, 2008

Netflix Drops HD-DVD


Well I guess the battle is lost. Netflix wrote the Geek today to tell him they will no longer be serving up HD-DVD's from their vast cavern of DVD's. This makes the Geek sad, but then again, they seem to only serve up the items at the very end of my queue. Maybe I need to move on to a less random selection process.

So having lost the war, we are left wondering-what did blu-ray have that HD-DVD didn't. Was it just that they were willing to spend the most to convince retailers and content producers to sign on? I think we need a congressional investigation.

But seriously, has anyone noticed that these subscription DVD services are a real crapshoot. I have had the HD-DVD of Bladerunner in my queue since it was released before Christmas. Still haven't seen it. It seem inevitable when every I break down and rent something at Blockbuster, the next day Netflix sends me the item I just rented.

Seems easier to just go down to the corner and rent the DVD there to begin with. Well maybe Netfix's decision to drop HD-DVD format gives me an opportunity to do that.

No comments: